E.V. Haughwout Building


The E.V. Haughwout Building is a five-story, 79-foot (24 m) tall, commercial loft building in the SoHo neighborhood of ManhattanNew York City, at the corner of Broome Street and Broadway. Built in 1857 to a design by John P. Gaynor, with cast-iron facades for two street-fronts provided by Daniel D. Badger's Architectural Iron Works, it originally housed Eder V. Haughwout's fashionable emporium, which sold imported cut glass and silverware as well as its own handpainted china and fine chandeliers, and which attracted many wealthy clients – including Mary Todd Lincoln, who had new official White House china made there. It was also the location of the world's first successful passenger elevator. (source: Wikipedia)